World Guide Number: 37-20-18
Span: 165 feet
Stream: Middle fork of the Willamette River
Directions: From Lowell, take Pioneer Street (Jasper-Lowell Rd.) south 1/2 mile to the Lowell Covered Bridge Interpretive Center adjacent to Highway 58.
History: Amos Hyland settled on the Middle Fork in 1874 and in 1908 platted the Town of Lowell on his property to coincide with construction of the railroad through his ranch. Hyland operated a ferry across the Willamette near the present site of Lowell Bridge until a covered bridge was built in 1907. That bridge was replaced with the current bridge (Oregon’s widest covered bridge) in 1945. Lowell Bridge was raised 6 feet in 1953 in conjunction with creation of Dexter reservoir, and in 1981 was bypassed by a new concrete bridge. Lowell Covered Bridge Interpretive Center opened at the restored Lowell Bridge in 2006, and features displays explaining the history of Lane County’s covered bridges and the Lowell area. Restrooms, picnic tables and handicap accessible fishing areas are available. Pengra, Parvin, Unity and Cannon Street covered bridges are all located within a 10-minute drive from the Lowell Bridge Interpretive Center.