BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS'

REGULAR MEETING

December 1, 2009

9:00 a.m.

Harris Hall Main Floor

APPROVED 1/6/2010

 

Commissioner Pete Sorenson presided with Commissioners Bill Dwyer, Bill Fleenor, Rob Handy and Faye Stewart present.  County Administrator Jeff Spartz, County Counsel Liane Richardson and Recording Secretary Melissa Zimmer were also present.

 

1. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA

 

None.

 

2. PUBLIC COMMENTS

 

Carol Berg Caldwell, Eugene, discussed the PACT, Police and Community Together.  She said the progress has been steady.  She said they sought guidance from many civic leaders and community members who all shared common concerns regarding public safety.  She said it is clear to them that the community wants better relations, trust and understanding between the police and the community.  She added that there is interest in more stabilized funding for public safety programs, from jail to the social services.  She said they are looking for voluntary donations from the community. She added a key aspect of the PACT is to build bridges and strengthen relations.  She announced that PACT will be holding their first social, inviting the police and their loved ones and the community on Friday December 4.

 

David Oaks, Eugene, said he was with members of Mind Freedom International.  He said in the past there was unanimous interest about placing this on the agenda.  He indicated that they support the voice and empowerment and recovery of Mental Health clients in Lane County.  He commented that there is an emergency need for major change in Mental Health in Lane County today.  He said the voice of Mental Health does not impact policy.  He stated that their concern is the overuse of psychiatric drugs.  He said they are pro choice.  He commented that it is about increasing the amount of choice.  He said there is an over reliance on a medical model.  He distributed information. (Copy in file).  He noted there are alternatives for recovery of Mental Health clients.  He indicated that the city of Eugene passed a resolution on this matter.  He stated that they need change.

 

Chrissy Peilsol, Eugene, said she is a youth peer support specialist.  She wanted to offer alternative help for youth with Mental Health.  She wanted to see alternatives for Mental Health like Mind Freedom.  She commented that transitioning youth is overlooked because there is a high need for young children and for adults, but that transitioning is important.  She wanted to see more peer delivered support to resolve issues.

 

Ron Unger, Eugene, said he is a Mental Health worker in Eugene.  He encouraged Lane Care to engage in a dialogue with them about creating effective guidelines for consumers in offering a choice.    He is concerned about what people are told about Mental Health.  He wanted people to be given more encouraging messages.  He wanted the Board to encourage Lane Care to approve the guidelines or give them a reason why not.

 

Tom Wilson, Springfield, stated that he has been a Mental Health volunteer for over 20 years.  He was troubled by the direction that Lane County has taken in the Mental Health arena.  He said he has been on the Countyís Mental Health Advisory Committee and he said he feels like it is a waste of his time because they are getting dialogue but they donít see any action.  He said he has taken a paid position at a non-profit and the guidelines are not part of the program. He asked the Board to help bring the policies they already have in place into action. He said many in the Mental Health system are told because it is not Medicaid billing, that it canít happen.

 

3. COMMISSIONERS' RESPONSE TO PUBLIC COMMENTS AND/OR OTHER ISSUES AND REMONSTRANCE

 

Handy announced that it was International AIDS Day.  He announced that he is having a Town Hall meeting tomorrow dealing with food security issues.

 

Fleenor stated that he wonít be able to attend because he will be out of town.

 

Sorenson hoped the Board will get a report from Lane Care on their view of whether the guidelines should be adopted.  He hoped the Board will continue to examine the issue.

 

4. EMERGENCY BUSINESS

 

No.

 

5. CONSENT CALENDAR

 

A. Approval of Minutes:

November 7, 2007, Regular Meeting, following Board of Health

November 28, 2007, Regular Meeting, 1:30 p.m.

December 11, 2007, Work Session, 9:00 a.m.

October 27, 2008, JEO, 6:30 p.m.

 

B. Management Services

 

1) ORDER 09-12-1-1/In the Matter of Authorizing the Sale of Surplus County Owned Real Property to Rene and Lynne Fabricant for $500 (Map 18-03-09-33-04800, Adjacent to 3859 Vine Maple Street, Eugene).

 

C. Public Works

 

1) ORDER 09-12-1-2/In the Matter of Approving a Revised Quitclaim Deed and Authorizing the County Administrator to Sign an Instrument of Release in Connection with the City of Lowell/St. Vincent de Paul Affordable Housing Development.

 

2) ORDER 09-12-1-3/In the Matter of Authorizing the Sale of a Portion of the Glenwood Central Receiving Station Property to the State of Oregon for the Willamette River I-5 Bridge Crossing.

 

D. Workforce Partnership

 

1) ORDER 09-12-1-4/In the Matter of Reappointing and Appointing Members to the Lane Workforce Partnership Board of Directors.

 

MOTION: to approve the Consent Calendar.

 

Dwyer MOVED, Fleenor SECONDED.

 

VOTE: 5-0.

 

6. CORRESPONDENCE TO THE BOARD

 

None.

 

7. COMMISSIONERS' BUSINESS

 

a. PRESENTATION/Amateur Radio Emergency Services.

 

b. PRESENTATION/Working for You Video.

 

c. PRESENTATION/Interpretation and Administration of Marginal Lands Applications with Staff Response.

 

Jim Just, Goal One, commented that the 1997 supplemental marginal lands information sheets (that served as a guide for marginal lands provision in Lane County) are out of date and need to be revised.  He thought this was the time to revise them when there are no quasi judicial actions pending so it could be approached in an objective manner.  He recalled case law before 1997 and the new administrative rules since then have made several of the directives given in the 1997 document no longer consistent with applicable law.  He added there are technical errors in the document that are no longer appropriate that need to be addressed and corrected.  He said Goal 1 Coalition and Landwatch have been working with DLCD and Department of Forestry to revisit the Boardís directive to bring them up to date.  He said the result of the work is before the Board in a proposed 2009 supplement to the Marginal Lands information sheet.  He indicated there is no formal process for the Board to revisit the directive.  He added that it could be done without any public process if the Board believes it is wise to engage the public in a discussion.  He thought the cheapest and quickest way to do it is to utilize the Planning Commission for review and recommendation to the Board.  He said that is the course of action they would recommend.

 

Matt Laird, Land Management, commented that at this point in time they have seen the paper that Just has written, but they didnít spend any staff resource doing any type of analysis.  He said they didnít have an issue in putting this into their long range planning work programming, taking it to the Board and letting the other interested parties review this and have an opportunity to comment.  He commented that some of these things had been contentious in the past but currently they have no marginal lands applications waiting.  He added that since 2003 they have had four applications for marginal lands.  He said if they were to engage in this, they would need to dedicate some long range planning staff to take a look at the long range work program, to see how this would fit.  He noted that some of this is updating appeals and LUBA decisions.  He didnít see this as a high priority.

 

Fleenor asked what t type of staff resources would be needed over the next 12 months.

 

Laird responded it would be equivalent to a smaller item on the list.  He thought it could be .2 or .1 FTE.

 

Fleenor asked to minimize resources.  He wanted to have a stakeholders group have some of the preliminary discussions to see how contentious it would be.

 

Laird commented that once they hold stakeholder groups, they are having a long range planning process and they would be using long range staff.  He said they would be using resources to work on that issue.

 

Stewart was supportive of getting stakeholders together.  He thought it was worth the time and effort to go back and look at a timeline and to put together a stakeholder group and bring back a long range work plan.

 

Sorenson said there is interest on the Board for this and he asked that this be put on the agenda for a second work session.

 

Steve Cornacchia, Eugene, commented that he supports 60 percent of what is being suggested.  He added that if they look closer at this, there is a disingenuous portion changing the rules of productivity.  He hoped the Board will listen to the experts.  He said he wants honesty to come out.

 

8. ONE PAGER REPORTS

 

a. Proposed Hydroelectric Project at Dorena Dam.

 

Stewart asked the Board to consider weighing in on this.  He said he has been in contact with Chris Stein from DEQ.  Stewart said it was his understanding a license has been issued for a 401 quality certification permit for the operations of a hydro plant and they are currently in the process of issuance of a certification for the construction of the facility.  He indicated that it will be released by the end of January.  Stewart noted that Chris Stein would be willing to make a presentation to the Board.

 

John Steele, gave a power point presentation about the proposed hydroelectric project at Dorena Dam. (Copy in file).

 

9. COUNTY ADMINISTRATION

 

a. REPORT BACK/Letter Re: Citizen Advocates for Public Safety (CAPS).

 

Sorenson indicated that Alex Cuyler, Intergovernmental Relations Manager drafted a letter to Dave Frohnmayer and Jean Tate.

 

MOTION: to approve sending the letter.

 

Dwyer MOVED, Fleenor SECONDED.

 

Sorenson wanted to add a sentence that the Board appreciates their work and the Board wants to invite them to come in and talk with them.

 

Dwyer amended the motion to include the above.  Fleenor seconded.

 

VOTE: 4-0 (Stewart excused).

 

10. COMMISSIONERS' ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

Sorenson announced that he, Handy and Mayor Piercy will be having a Town Hall Meeting Tomorrow on the issue of food safety.

 

Handy stated that he has been impressed with the work of the watershed councils.  He announced the Siuslaw Watershed Council was taking request for free trees.

 

Dwyer announced that Coyote Creek coins were available at Public Works.

 

11. COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

None.

 

12. COUNTY COUNSEL ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

None.

 

13. OTHER BUSINESS

 

Stewart indicated that next week there will be a discussion on who will have the voting delegates for O & C counties.  He noted that Lane County normally has three votes.

 

Fleenor stated that he would be attending the meeting with Stewart.

 

There being no further business, Commissioner Sorenson recessed the meeting at 11:50 a.m.

 

Melissa Zimmer

Recording Secretary