BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS’
June 9, 2010
Following Board of Health
Harris Hall Main Floor
Commissioner Bill Fleenor presided with Commissioners Bill Dwyer, Rob Handy and Pete Sorenson present. Faye Stewart was excused. County Administrator Jeff Spartz, County Counsel Liane Richardson and Recording Secretary Melissa Zimmer were also present.
1. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Fleenor indicated they have to keep the afternoon open June 23 for an ACT presentation. With item 5f under Public Works on the Consent Calendar, he read the correct title. He added item 5.C.4), and item 5. C.5) to the Consent Calendar.
2. PUBLIC COMMENTS
Keith Stanton, Mapleton, proposed a volunteer citizen committee. He said he created a work sheet. He thought it would cost the County $300 per month for a committee with one formal meeting. He indicated there is raw data and it was up to the public to take the raw data so the future Budget Committee members could be trained. He thought they should have a volunteer citizen work on it as it would be more expensive if it would be done by County staff.
Cindy Cable, Florence, stated that she has been an elected official serving the Florence Justice Court for the past 20 years. She was disappointed that the decision about the Justice Courts was postponed. She stated there are a number of employees who have been waiting for several months to see what will happen. She was concerned about the postponement. She indicated that as of July 1 there will no longer be a seated Judge in their district and pro tems are no longer eligible to serve.
3. COMMISSIONERS' RESPONSE TO PUBLIC COMMENTS AND/OR OTHER ISSUES AND REMONSTRANCE
Sorenson indicated they were in the midst of impending budget reductions in state funding in public services in Oregon. He reported that the Lane County voters declined to approve a five year operating levy for the OSU Extension Service. He said there was a need for a special budget session. He reported they are dedicating the Charnelton Building at noon on August 17. He wanted a Leadership Team Meeting with state and federal legislators invited. He commented that there wasn’t enough information today to make changes in the budget that was recommended to the Board of Commissioners. He indicated that they need to have an early and thorough look at the budget picture to allow the Board time to hear from the main budget coordinator for Lane County on what they see as the crystal ball for revenue. He wanted to have the Budget Manager talk about big ticket items to be affected with the worsening budget picture and he wanted to have the legislative staff be part of the briefing. He wanted a video tape made focused on Christine Moody and her ability to explain the Budget so they can show it to people and have them understand what they are facing.
Fleenor wanted to have a Leadership Team Meeting on August 17 with the leadership team, the Budget Committee, legislative aids, union leaders and citizens and then schedule another meeting on August 31 as a follow up and then invite the DA, Sheriff, Assessor, judges and union leaders to digest the information they receive that will result in a balanced budget over a five year minimum horizon, taking into consideration all the variables they have today and anything that could be modified at a later date. He said they need to take a stable approach. He hoped that they will be able to come up with a process and direction. He announced that he has a community dialogue tomorrow in Veneta.
4. EMERGENCY BUSINESS
5. CONSENT CALENDAR
A. Approval of Minutes: None.
B. County Administration
1) ORDER 10-6-9-1/In the Matter of Making FY 2010-2011 (FFY 2010) Election for National Forest and O&C Secure Rural Schools Land Related Safety Net Payments.
C. Board of County Commissioners
1) ORDER 10-5-19-1/In the Matter of Ratifying the FY 10-11 Regional Wastewater Program Budget and Capital Improvements Program as Approved by the Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission (MWMC).
2) ORDER 10-6-9-2/In the Matter of Approving a Letter of Support for Repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Policy.
3) ORDER 10-6-9-3/In the Matter of Approving Changes to the River Road Community Organization Charter.
4) ORDER 10-6-9-16/Recommending a Proposed Name for Natural Feature Located in Lane County to the Oregon Geographic Names Board.
5) ORDER 10-6-9-17/Appointing Commissioners as Voting Delegates for the National Association of Counties Annual Meeting.
D. County Counsel
1) ORDER 10-6-9-4/In the Matter of Amending Lane Manual Chapter 21 Public Contracting Rules Relating to Contract Process and Provisions.
E. Health and Human Services
1) ORDER 10-6-9-5/In the Matter of Amending Chapter 60 of Lane Manual to Revise Certain Health & Human Services Fees (LM 60.840) Effective July 1, 2010.
F. Public Works
1) ORDER 10-6-9-7/In The Matter of Authorizing the Lane County Parks Division to Apply for and Accept Grant Funding from the Oregon State Marine Board in the Amount of $76,000 to Replace the Failing Richardson Park Pumpout & Dump Station.
2) ORDER 10-6-9-8/In the Matter of Awarding Requirement Contracts to Various Contractors to Establish Unit Prices for Asphaltic Mix Patching Materials Needs During the Period of 7/01/10 To 6/30/11, Prospective Contract No. 10/11-M&S-53 and Authorizing the County Administrator to Sign the Contracts.
3) ORDER 10-6-9-9/In the Matter of Authorizing the Sale of a Parcel of County-owned Surplus Road Fund Property Identified as Tax Lot 8900 on Lane County Assessor's Map 21-35-16-14.
4) ORDER 10-6-9-10/In the Matter of Authorizing the Sale of a Parcel of County-owned Surplus Road Fund Property Identified as Tax Lot 8800 on Lane County Assessor's Map 21-35-16-14.
6) ORDER 10-6-9-11/In the Matter of Setting a Public Hearing to Consider the Proposed Legalization of a Portion of Hamm Road (County Road Number 715˝), Located in Sections 15 and 16, Township 19 South, Range 4 West of the Willamette Meridian (19-04-15 & 16) (Public Hearing: July 14, 2010, 1:30 p.m.)
7) ORDER 10-6-9-12/In the Matter of Authorizing the Friends of Buford Park to Apply for and Accept Grant Funding on Behalf of the Lane County Parks Division from the Robert J. Trulaske Family Foundation to Support Plant Propagation and Native Habitat Restoration within the Howard Buford Recreation Area.
G. Public Safety
1) ORDER 10-6-9-13/In the Matter of Delegating the Authority to the County Administrator to Execute ATV Grant Program Agreement Between the State of Oregon, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, and Lane County in the Amount of $110,000.
H. Workforce Partnership
1) ORDER 10-6-9-14/In the Matter of Appointing a Youth Services Representative to the Lane Workforce Partnership’s Youth Council Committee.
MOTION: to approve the Consent Calendar as amended.
Dwyer MOVED, Handy SECONDED.
6. PUBLIC SAFETY
a. FIRST READING AND SETTING SECOND READING AND PUBLIC HEARING/Ordinance No. 4-10/In the Matter of Amending Chapter 2 of Lane Code to Establish a Criminal History Record check Policy with Respect to Persons Selected for Employment, County Contractors, and Volunteers. (Second Reading and Public Hearing: June 23, 2010, 1:30 p.m.)
MOTION: to approve a First Reading and Setting a Second Reading and Public hearing on Ordinance No. 4-10 for June 23, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.
Dwyer MOVED, Handy SECONDED.
7. COUNTY ADMINISTRATION
8. COUNTY COUNSEL
9. PUBLIC WORKS
a. STATUS REPORT/Work Group for Lane Code/Manual/Comp Plan Revisions.
Matt Laird, Land Management, gave an update on the Lane Use Task Force. (Copy in file).
MOTION: to move that the task force go to July 31, 2010.
Dwyer MOVED, Handy SECONDED.
VOTE: 3-0. (Dwyer out of room).
There being no further business, Commissioner Fleenor recessed the meeting at 12:05 p.m.