BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS’
November 23, 2010
Harris Hall Main Floor
Commissioner Rob Handy presided with Commissioners Bill Dwyer, and Pete Sorenson present. Bill Fleenor was present via telephone. Faye Stewart was excused. Acting County Administrator and County Counsel Liane Richardson and Recording Secretary Melissa Zimmer were also present.
1. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Handy reported they were to begin the meeting with HACSA, but it will be rescheduled for later in the day because there is not a quorum. He noted item 5.G.2) will be rolled until next week. For the Consent Calendar, items 5. G. 4) 5) & 6) are combined into ORDER 10-11-23-10.
2. PUBLIC COMMENTS
Dave Van Sickle, Eugene, recalled two weeks ago Handy introduced a motion to terminate the IGA with Eugene on the permits. He noted during the conversation that legal counsel had said it doesn’t make any difference who gives up the building permit, state law states you must be annexed. He challenged that. He called it hostage annexation.
Carleen Reilly, Eugene, said she is a member of the River Road Community Organization, but her statements are her own. She gave her concerns about the current division of governance and the impacts on River Road activities in the past three months. She wants government streamlined so there is one agency helping them. She stated that they want language instituted in the Metro Plan to protect their neighborhood character and to build appropriately for their neighbors.
Ann McLucas, Eugene, recalled after Jim Gillette paid thousands of dollars in fines, he is now up to date with the County. She was disappointed in how the process was done. She indicated there was a promise for Gillette to have a hearing but that promise was not kept by the Board. She commented that the lack of that hearing then influenced the second case. She stated that none of this was settled with a sense of justice on their part. She indicated that Gillette wants to cooperate with the County and have them help develop his land into a park but she said a sense of cooperation was gone.
Jim Gillette, Eugene, said he wants to work with the County, but he is frustrated. He wanted to see this resolved peacefully. He stated that he paid $26,000 for things that he never did. He said if he did do them he would like to see proof of it and then he will walk away. He wanted to remedy this before the new Board comes on. He doesn’t want any more legal matters.
3. COMMISSIONERS' RESPONSE TO PUBLIC COMMENTS AND/OR OTHER ISSUES AND REMONSTRANCE
Dwyer thought they resolved Gillette’s case.
Richardson said Gillette came into her office yesterday and wanted to talk about his greater concerns on how the matter was handled. She said there is an item he wants brought to the Board and she will bring that to Executive Session next week. She indicated the cases are all resolved with Gillette.
Sorenson reported that he took the bus to work and he was impressed with how Lane Transit District got a lot of people to work safely.
4. EMERGENCY BUSINESS
5. CONSENT CALENDAR
BEGINNING OF CONSENT CALENDAR * * * *
A. Approval of Minutes
B. Board of County Commissioners
1) ORDER 10-11-23-1/In the Matter of Appointing One (1) Member to the Public Safety Coordinating Council.
C. County Counsel
1) ORDER 10-11-23-2/In the Matter of the Annexation of the City of Florence to Siuslaw Valley Fire and Rescue.
2) ORDER 10-11-23-3/In the Matter of the Refunding Fees for Permits on Real Property Located at Map 17-06-26-2601, and Map 17-06-27 Lots 500 and 501.
D. District Attorney
1) ORDER 10-11-23-4/In the Matter of Awarding a Contract to Karpel Solutions for a Case Management System for the District Attorney's Office and that the County Administrator be Authorized to Sign the Contract.
E. Health and Human Services
1) ORDER 10-11-23-5/In the Matter of Applying for or Supporting an Application from Willamette Family, Inc. for an Oregon Department of Human Services Grant to Fund Alcohol and Drug Free Housing Services in the Amount of $280,515 for Two Years Beginning July 1, 2011 and Delegating Authority to the County Administrator to Execute Grant Documents.
F. Public Safety
1) ORDER 10-11-23-6/In the Matter of Relocating Parole & Probation Staff to the Community Corrections Center and Identifying Sources of Funding to Cover the Cost of the Move.
G. Public Works
1) ORDER 10-11-23-7/In the Matter of Ratifying a Grant Application of $175,000 to the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board (OWEB) in Connection with the Replacement of Three Culverts on London Road at M. P. 5.82 and Authorizing the County Administrative Officer to Sign all Documents in Connection with the Acceptance of the Grant.
2) ORDER 10-11-23-8/In the Matter of Approving the Department of Public Works to Spend up to $100,000 From the Road Fund to Conduct a Phase 1 Stormwater Utility Feasibility Study.
3) ORDER 10-11-23-9/In the Matter of Amending Chapter 18 of Lane Manual to Establish the New Fee Annual Parking Pass – Restitution Effective January 1, 2011.
4) ORDER 10-11-23-10/In the Matter of Amending Chapter 18 of Lane Manual to Revise Moorage Fees at Baker Bay, Orchard Point Marina, and Richardson Marina Effective January 1, 2011.
5) ORDER 10-11-23-11/In the Matter of Amending Chapter 18 of Lane Manual to Make Administrative Changes and to Revise Parks Fees Effective January 1, 2011.
END OF CONSENT CALENDAR * * * *
MOTION: to approve the Consent Calendar.
Dwyer MOVED, Fleenor SECONDED.
6. EXECUTIVE SESSION as per ORS 192.660
(Commissioners' Conference Room)
Per ORS 192.660 (2)(a) for the purpose of employment of a public officer.
Commissioner Handy recessed the meeting into Executive Session at 10:15 a.m.