General Fire Safety Guidelines
What to do in the event of a House Fire
- If indoors, get out and stay out; follow your family escape plan.
- Get as low to the ground as possible and crawl to the nearest exit.
- Always check doors before opening. If the door, door knob, or crack is hot, do not open it - find another way out. If the door is cool, pass through quickly and close the door behind you.
- If unable to get out, hang a white t-shirt, towel or sheet out of the window to let firefighters know someone is trapped inside.
- Once out of the building go to your pre-designated meeting spot from your family plan.
What to do in the event of a Wildfire
- Evacuate immediately if asked to do so, and cooperate with public safety personnel.
- Move down slope if fire is burning in a hilly or mountainous area.
- Cover nose and mouth with clothing or other piece of cloth to protect from smoke and ash.