FAQ - Record/Information Requests 

How can I get a copy of my law enforcement record?

If you only want a record of contacts with the Lane County Sheriff’s Office, you can come to our Central Reception to make this request.  Background checks cost $15.00.


It is important to note that if you have had contact and/or enforcement action with any other police agency in Oregon, the background we will perform will not show that history.


In order to obtain a statewide criminal history check, you should contact the Oregon State Police Identification Services Section/Public Records Unit at 503-378-3070.  You can also access this information and all instructions necessary at their website at http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/ID/pages/public_records.aspx.


I need information on Sheriff’s Office foreclosure sales – who do I talk to?

The answers to many questions can be found on our Civil Section webpage.   If you have additional questions, please direct them to Sgt. Jon Campbell at 541-682-6659.

Who do I call about obtaining statistics on vehicle crashes, DUII, number of employees, financial information, arrest records, etc?

The Sheriff’s Office does not currently have the budgetary resources to have a dedicated public information officer, or analyst on staff.  Consequently, these duties are handled as needed by our Records Officers and other employees in addition to their regular workload.


For crime stats or related information, you can contact our Police Records Unit at 541-682-3775 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 11am-3pm.  All public records requests and/or requests for computerized reports are billed at $35.00/hour with a 1 hour minimum.

How do I find out if the house I’m renting, buying, living in or is next door was a meth house?


The State of Oregon provides information regarding properties that have been declared by a law enforcement agency to be unfit for use due to meth lab and/or storage activities. 



How do I find out if there is a registered sex offender living in my neighborhood?


For general information or questions, you can contact the Oregon State Police Sex Offender Registration Unit.  This unit tracks registration of persons convicted of sex crimes who reside, work, or attend school within the state of Oregon.  The Unit is the state repository for information within the state, encompassing adult and juvenile offenders.  You can reach them by email at  sexoffender.questions@state.or.us or by calling (503) 378-3720.  More information can be found on their website at:  www.oregon.gov/OSP/SOR/index.shtml

How do I find out if I have an outstanding warrant?

Warrants information is not considered to be public information.  Therefore, we will not answer any phone inquiries about wanted status.  If you want to check on whether or not you have an outstanding warrant, you need to present yourself at our Central Reception along with identification, such as a driver’s license.

How can I find out if someone is wanted?  Or, I know the location of someone that is wanted, what do I do?

Just as we won’t tell you if you’re wanted, we won’t tell anyone else either.


If you believe someone is wanted and you know their location, you should contact our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4141.  Although they will neither confirm nor deny wanted status, our Communications Officers will take your information and do appropriate follow-up.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions