FAQ - Services 

What do I need to do to get a Restraining Order against someone?

Restraining Orders are obtained through Lane County Circuit Court.  You must present yourself in court and appear before a judge before a restraining order will be granted.  For further information, you can contact the court at 541-682-4020.


Lane County Victim’s Services provides advocates to walk you through the restraining order process and will accompany you to court.  For further information on these services, you can reach their office at 541-682-4523.

What do I need to do if I want to press charges against someone?

In order to pursue criminal charges against someone, you must first file a police report.  Since police agencies can only investigate crimes that occurred within their jurisdiction, in order to start the reporting process, you should determine where the incident took place.  The answer to this question will determine which police agency you should contact to file a report.


For incidents that occurred in unincorporated Lane County, contact our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4141.  For incidents that occurred inside city limits, you should contact that city’s police department.


There are some incidents that really don’t have a location, such as identity theft, or internet fraud.  For incidents of that nature, contact the police agency that has jurisdiction over your residence address.

How do I have divorce, or other, papers served?

The Sheriff’s Office provides civil paper service to the public.  For further information, please refer to the Support Services page on our website.  On that page, you’ll find a number of quick links to frequently asked questions, our fee schedule, etc.

My car was impounded.  What do I need to do to get it released?  Where do I go to do that, and what do I need to bring with me?

The pink impound sheet you were given at the time of your traffic stop will provide you with information on which police agency you should contact regarding your vehicle.  For vehicles impounded by a Lane County Sheriff’s deputy, you should come to our Central Reception in order to have your vehicle released.


We assist customers on a first come-first serve basis.  You may need to take a number and be seated until your number is called.  Our Central Reception area also handles may other functions, so you may encounter other people waiting ahead of you.  It is best to come in when you have time to wait.


In order to have a vehicle released, you must provide the following:

  • proof of ownership, such as a title or registration
  • proof of current insurance on the impounded vehicle
  • a valid driver’s license – if you do not have a valid license, you must bring a valid driver with you

The fee for vehicle release is $120.  This must be paid in cash, as we do not accept checks or credit cards.  For your convenience, an ATM machine is located in our hallway.


Please be advised that the $120 administrative fee you pay the Sheriff’s Office does not include any incurred towing or storage charges.  Those charges are your responsibility.


For questions, call our office at 541-682-4156 Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.

How do I find out more information on CHL?  How do I get a Concealed Handgun License?  Can I get one if I live out of state, but travel to Lane County? 

The Sheriff’s Office website has extensive information on the  Concealed Handgun Licensing process, as well as an on-line application which can be copied and printed and Frequently Asked Questions regarding Concealed Handgun Licenses.

How do I find out more information on Civil service? 

The Sheriff’s Office Civil Process Unit information is available on the website – as is the Civil Process Fee Schedule and Frequently asked questions.

I need to register as a sex offender.  Who do I call?

In order to register, you can present yourself to our Central Reception Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.  Our Records Officers will complete all required paperwork which is then forwarded to the Sex Offender Registration Unit in Salem.  Our staff handles not only initial registration, but also address changes and annual reporting.

I need to have my fingerprints taken for a job – where do I go?

Fingerprinting information can be found on the Sheriff’s Office website Fingerprint Unit or call the recorded information line at 541-682-4125.

The fee for fingerprinting must be paid for with cash or check – the Office does not accept debit or credit cards.  You will also need to bring a valid and current piece of photo identification.  If your prospective employer provided you with a blank fingerprint card(s), be sure to bring the fingerprint card(s) and instructions you have been supplied with you.  DO NOT sign the card until you are instructed to do so by Sheriff’s Office personnel.  Business hours are 9 am to 5 pm on a first-come, first-served basis.   

I’d like to do a ride-along – who do I call?  Is there a certain age or requirement to have one?

Application/instructions may be found on the Police Services Division webpage under Forms - Ride Waiver.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions