Concealed Handgun License - Frequently Asked Questions 

1.         Where do I find Oregon Concealed Handgun law?

Oregon concealed handgun law can be found at: l

Other references to the ORS listed on this page can be found at:

Scroll through the index and then navigate to the section you wish to review.


2.      What is the cost to apply for a Concealed Handgun License (CHL)?

- New License - $65.00

- Renewal License within Lane County - $50.00

- Address change or replacement within Lane County - $15.00

- Address change within Oregon but new to Lane County - $30.00


3.      How long is a CHL valid?

Four years from date of issue. However, an arrest or criminal activity involvement is cause of revocation (see #8 below).


4.      What are the application requirements?

There are four requirements:

1.      Lane County Residency - residency is defined in ORS 166.291

2.      Proof of Competency

3.      Pass a criminal background check

4.      Proof of US Citizenship or Legal Resident Alien


5.      Where can I get an application for a Concealed Handgun License?

Applications are available from our office, or on-line at:

Complete the application on-line and print it out OR print the application and complete it by hand. Applications are not accepted on-line. You must bring the application, in person, to our office.


6.      How long does it take to get my License?

ORS 166.292 allows the Sheriff 45 days to review and issue the permit on a CHL application. Due to current workload issues, it is safe to assume that it will take 45 days.


7.      What would disqualify me from obtaining a CHL?

Please review the requirements for obtaining a CHL (see #3 above). If you do not meet the requirements, you would be disqualified. If you have a unique situation, you should call the CHL Unit to discuss your particular circumstances. Otherwise, the requirements are that you must:

1.     Be a US citizen, or a legal alien who can document continuous residency in the United States for at least six months and has declared, in writing, to the INS your intent to acquire citizenship (Form N400).

2.     Be at least 21 years old.

3.     Have no legal condition that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm under either Oregon or Federal law.

4.     Have no outstanding warrants for your arrest.

5.     Not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Services.

6.     Not be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, a controlled substance.

7.     Not be on any form of pre-trial release.

8.     Not be required to register as a sex offender in any state.

9.     Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor, or found guilty of a misdemeanor within four years prior to application, except under ORS 151.295.

10.  Not be subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.723 or 163.738 (e.g. Stalking or Restraining Orders).

11.  Demonstrate handgun competency. For military veterans, this can be accomplished by presenting a DD214 that specifies handgun training. For all others, this can be accomplished by presenting a certificate of completion from a handgun safety course taught by an NRA instructor.

8.      How will I know if my application was denied or revoked?

If your CHL is denied or revoked, you will be sent a certified letter advising you of that fact and the reason for the denial/revocation.


9.      What would cause my CHL to be revoked?

In essence, anything that would cause you to be denied a license when you initially applied would cause your CHL to be revoked. Examples would include: new arrests where you are on a form of pre-trial release, conviction of a misdemeanor, or being named as the respondent of a restraining order that's in effect. Please call if you have a concern in this area.


10.     If my CHL application is denied or my CHL is revoked, can I appeal?

ORS provides an appeal process for denials and revocations through the filing of a petition through Circuit Court. You have 30 days from the date you receive the revocation letter to appeal the decision. For additional information, refer to ORS 166.293(5).


11.     Does the License allow me to carry any weapon?

No. This is a Concealed Handgun License. See ORS 166.210(4) for the definition of a handgun.


12.     What do I do if I move?

If you move within Lane County, click here for our change of address application and submit the form with $15.00 to us in person or via US mail.  

If you move into Lane County from within the state of Oregon, you will need to bring the form in person to our office with $30.00, your current CHL, your ODL, and be fingerprinted and photographed.


If you no longer have residency in Lane County (see ORS 166.291 for the definition), you must apply to the County Sheriff of your new residence address to transfer your CHL. The expiration date of your CHL will remain the same. 

If you move out of state consult the regulating agency where you are residing.


13.     I am a veteran with a DD214; does that satisfy the competency requirement for my application?

Maybe. If your DD214 specifically states the words pistol or handgun training, it would satisfy the requirement. Words such as 'small arms' or 'marksmanship' alone will not fulfill the statutory wording.


14.     Are there places I can't carry my handgun concealed?

Yes. There are several locations in which you cannot carry a firearm, even with a carry permit, including:

1.     Federal Facilities – federal courthouses, social security office, secured areas of airports, airplanes.

2.     Posted private property where the owner prohibits firearms possession, and others.

3.     National forests marked or posted with signs prohibiting all firearms.

4.     Indian reservations or property – you may not carry a firearm concealed without the written permission of the tribal judge; this may also apply to certain casinos on tribal lands.

5.     Courts – in a courtroom, jury room, judge’s chambers, or adjacent areas that the presiding judge determines should be free of firearms to ensure the safety of litigants, court personnel, witnesses, and others.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you plan to carry your handgun, it is important to research the requirements at these locations before you go.  Learn more at ORS 166.370.

15.     What are the hours of operation of the Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit, and how can I contact you?

CHLs are by appointment only. 


You may also call our office between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. The number is 541-682-3906.The CHL email address is: Applications cannot be submitted via email; you must bring your completed application in person to the address listed below.


16.     Where is your office located?

The Lane County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit is located in the Lane County Courthouse at: 125 E. 8th Avenue - Room 140, Eugene OR 97401


17.     How can I pay for my License?

License fees can be paid for with cash, check, or credit card.  We do not accept American Express.


18.     What type of identification do I need to bring?

You must bring two pieces of current ID:

1.     One must have a current photo (e.g. Oregon driver’s License).

2.     The second piece of ID does not have to be a photo ID, however, it must be current (have an expiration date, include your name, and not be expired).

New applicants must also bring

1.     Proof of competency (e.g. NRA Certificate)

2.     Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (not hospital footprints) or Current Passport

3.     Completed Reference Sheet


19.     My handgun license will expire in a few months; will I receive a renewal notice?

No, you will need to monitor the expiration of your CHL and return to this website for a renewal application and appointment sign up several months before the expiration date.

Updated July 2015