School Exclusion 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below for a list of frequently asked questions related to school immunization review and school exclusion.

I know my child is up to date with his shots. My doctor would have told me if he needed something else.

That may be true. However, Oregon state law requires that children and students receive a certain number of shots.  View the list of state required vaccines (lea la lista de vacunas requeridas en español). Tdap is required for students in grades 7 through 12; and Hepatitis A is required for anyone 18 months or older in daycare, Head Start, preschools, and grades K-8. Please contact your child’s doctor to get the most up-to-date record on file. Also, it is important that you deliver this record to your child’s school or daycare.

Why did you send me this letter? I have a religious exemption for my student.

If a parent opts not to vaccinate a child, the parent must file a nonmedical exemption with the school/facility, and it must have been signed on or after March 1, 2014. Parents need to submit documentation of immunizations or take steps to file a nonmedical exemption. Please see the state’s Vaccine Education Module for more information and to complete the requirements for nonmedical exemptions.

You sent me a letter saying my child needs the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. My child has already had chickenpox (the disease).

If your child has already had chickenpox, s/he will not need to get the shot; however, the school will need to know an approximate month/year date of the disease. This information must be included in the child’s vaccination record.

When is Exclusion Day?

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 is Exclusion Day. On or by February 21, the school or facility needs to see proof of immunization, history of the disease, valid medical exemption(s), or valid non-medical exemption(s). Failure to provide the above by February 21 means the child cannot attend school. By law, we CANNOT grant extensions.

Lane County Public Health sent me this letter about immunizations. My child is already up-to-date. I gave that information to the school a couple of weeks ago.

There is a possibility that this information crossed in the mail. Please consider contacting the child’s school again to ensure that the information is indeed on record before the exclusion date.

My child had a bad reaction to a shot last time. My doctor sent a letter to the school saying she didn’t need another shot. How come you sent me an exclusion letter?

Medical exemptions must be reviewed and approved by Lane County Public Health before they can be considered valid. If you have not received confirmation that your medical exemption has been accepted by the health department, contact Lane County Public Health at 541-682-4041.

We just moved here from out of state and I don’t have a copy of my child’s shot record.

Please try to contact the child’s last school or last known physician for any records. If records cannot be located by February 21, 2018, the child will be excluded. If you are sure the records exist but you cannot locate them by this date, please complete the nonmedical exemption modules and present them to the school by February 21.

Where can my child get the necessary immunizations to avoid being excluded from school?

Vaccines by appointment

Vacunas con cita

Special Exclusion Day walk-in clinics will be offered at Lane County Public Health on February 20 & 21, 2018, from 8:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

El Departamento de Salud Pública ofrecerá vacunas en nuestra clínica sin necesidad de cita en estas fechas solamente:
martes 20, miércoles 21 de febrero 2018
de las 8:00 a.m. hasta las 11:15 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
LCPH services are available regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and marital status. LCPH facilities are wheelchair accessible. LCPH materials are available upon request in alternative formats such as: large print, Braille and other languages.  This health center receives HHS funding and has federal Public Health Service deemed status with respect to certain health or health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals.