Utilice el Traductor de Google para ver esta información en español seleccionando el botón "translate" en la esquina inferior derecha.

This webpage is intended to help those affected by the Holiday Farm Fire connect with resources and information to help them navigate the next steps in working with federal and local agencies, insurance companies and others.

Updated on October 21, 2020

Cleanup & Debris Management

Lane County and its state and federal partners encourage residents who are cleaning up burnt structures to WAIT.

Before you can rebuild, your property must be cleared of household hazardous waste or other hazardous substances. Property owners affected by the Holiday Farm Fire have an opportunity to have household hazardous waste removed at no cost to them or their insurance policies.

To participate, property owners must sign an access agreement, called a Right of Entry form, as soon as possible to allow cleanup crews onto their property.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) crews that specialize in identifying and removing hazardous substances will visit properties, determine what hazardous materials need to be removed, and remove them for safe disposal. This service is funded by federal and state government.

Household hazardous waste includes fuel and petroleum, pool chemicals, car batteries, antifreeze, used oil filters, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, propane tanks, disinfectants, aerosols, paint, bleach, and ammunition. Crews will also safely identify and dispose of large pieces of asbestos materials.

Please see the drop down section “Right of Entry for Cleanup” to learn more and sign up.

The State of Oregon has created a Frequently Asked Questions document and webpage related to the hazardous waste cleanup effort. You can view the information online or download a PDF.

The EPA has created an interactive webpage and map where you can track their progress at 


Before you can rebuild, your property must be cleared of household hazardous waste or other hazardous substances. Property owners affected by the Holiday Farm Fire have an opportunity to have household hazardous waste removed at no cost to them or their insurance policies.

To participate, property owners must sign an access agreement, called a Right of Entry form, as soon as possible to allow cleanup crews onto their property.


The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is expected to arrive in Lane County as soon as October 24. If you do not get your form submitted in time, you may miss the opportunity to participate in the household hazardous waste cleanup.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) crews that specialize in identifying and removing hazardous substances will visit properties, determine what hazardous materials need to be removed, and remove them for safe disposal. This service is funded by federal and state government. Debris removal, which may occur in a second phase, might result in claims against your insurance policy to avoid duplication of benefits (i.e. you can't have things cleaned up on your behalf by government agencies and collect insurance payments).

Household hazardous waste includes fuel and petroleum, pool chemicals, car batteries, antifreeze, used oil filters, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, propane tanks, disinfectants, aerosols, paint, bleach, and ammunition. Crews will also safely identify and dispose of large pieces of asbestos materials.

You can view the forms online before filling out the electronic version above. View the form that would allow hazardous waste cleanup and debris cleanup. View the form that would allow hazardous waste cleanup only.

Hard copies are available at the McKenzie Fire Station (42870 Highway 126, Leaburg),  McKenzie Bridge Transfer Station (55805 Highway 126, Blue River - during operating hours) and Vide-Leaburg Transfer Station (43843 Highway 126, Leaburg - during operating hours).

If Phase 2 debris removal becomes available to property owners, only those who participated in the household hazardous waste removal (Phase 1) will be eligible.

Household hazardous waste removal timeline (approximate):

  • Property owners are asked to sign the property access agreement as soon as possible
  • Boots-on-the-ground teams – October 20-22
  • Clean up complete by December 31

The State of Oregon has created a Frequently Asked Questions document and webpage related to the hazardous waste cleanup effort. You can view the information online or download a PDF.

The EPA has created an interactive webpage and map where you can track their progress at 

 More about the ROE forms:

  • ROE allows FEMA and its contractors to enter the property in order to assess the type and extent of cleanup needed in order for the property to be considered habitable.
  • ROE allows FEMA and its contractors to make discretionary decisions about what and how specific types of waste will be removed and disposed of according to state and federal rules and regulations.
  • ROE ensures licensed, bonded and properly certified contractors will perform the work – many insurance companies will require the cleanup be done by specifically licensed contractors.
  • ROE allows FEMA to perform the cleanup at little or no cost to property owner – if the property owner is insured FEMA requires those benefits specific to debris removal and cleanup be assigned to reimburse for the cost to cleanup. FEMA cannot provide cleanup service funding that duplicates insurance proceeds. FEMA is legally prohibited from duplicating benefits from other sources. The intent is to recover only those benefits a property owner may receive from their insurer for the same work FEMA has funded.
  • The ROE limits the cost to a property owner for FEMA cleanup to only those benefits available via their insurance policy – there is no out of pocket expense for a property owner even if the cleanup expense exceeds the amount reserved for such costs in their insurance policy.
  • Prior to signing the ROE, a property owner should contact their insurance provider in order to understand the details of their individual policy.
  • If a property owner chooses not to sign a ROE, the property owner may be responsible for any out of pocket expenses related to the cleanup of the property that is not covered by insurance.
  • The goal is to return damaged properties to a habitable condition while ensuring hazardous waste is not improperly disposed of in the environment. FEMA would like to begin the cleanup process as soon as possible for the health and safety of the public and to assist property owners in safely returning to their property as they begin the process of rebuilding.




Right of Entry information: 682-800-5737


Questions about insurance? 888-877-4894


EPA household hazardous waste cleanup information: 541-255-5549


Frequently Asked Questions About Cleanup

My property burned. Can I start cleanup now?

Lane County joins its state and federal partners in advising property owners to wait before starting cleanup for these reasons:

  1. In addition to physical hazards, debris from burned structures can contain hazardous materials like asbestos and heavy metals that should be removed for your safety before bulk cleanup work starts.
  2. Cleanup can be more expensive than you’d think. Insurance may or may not cover all those costs. Also, property owners who have applied, or who intend to apply, for direct assistance from FEMA will want to make sure that all their costs are eligible for reimbursement.
  3. Currently, all normal state and federal regulations apply to debris disposal. This includes regulations regarding asbestos-containing material. These requirements make cleanup of fire-related debris more difficult and more expensive.

Will help be available for cleanup activities?

YES. FEMA, EPA and the State of Oregon have reached an agreement to provide cleanup of household hazardous waste on burned properties. Property owners will need to opt-in to this service by signing a right-of-entry agreement to permit EPA contract crews to enter their property for this purpose. This service is at no cost to property owners (their insurance may be billed if applicable); FEMA and state funding will cover all costs. To learn more and opt in, please see the section above “Right of Entry for Cleanup.”

We are currently waiting to find out if our application to provide bulk debris (non-hazardous) cleanup at no cost to property owners is approved by FEMA.

How can I opt-in to these programs?

To learn more and opt in, please see the section above “Right of Entry for Cleanup.”

What if I decide not to use these programs?

Again, Lane County is working with state and local regulators to develop the most cost-efficient procedures for managing debris from burned structures, and that may result in an easier, less expensive process. To see more detailed information about cleaning up your property on your own, please review the section below.

For guidance on other debris like animal carcasses, appliances, scrap metal and household hazardous waste, visit or call Lane County’s Waste Management Division at 541-682-4120 during business hours (Monday through Friday 8am – 5pm and Saturday 8am – 1pm).


I want to clean up my burned property myself. What do I need to do?

Ash from burned structures contains many chemical compounds and in many cases will contain asbestos, a cancer and lung disease hazard. State and local air quality regulators have adopted some relaxed requirements to help property owners clean up debris generated by the 2020 wildfires. However, the health hazards still exist and cleanup must be performed properly to help safeguard the health of residents, contractors and the environment.

The information below is intended to reflect debris management procedures in Lane County and Short Mountain Landfill. Other landfills in Oregon have developed other procedures, which in some cases are more restrictive. Also, this information is subject to amendments and updates. Please monitor this page for the most current information.

Lane Regional Air Protection Agency administers air quality regulations in Lane County. Call LRAPA (541-736-1056) for specific instructions based on your situation before starting your cleanup project.

If a structure was built before January 1, 2004, is it considered suspect for asbestos, and there are two management options:

  1. The first option is to manage all the debris as asbestos-containing waste. Under temporary rule variances adopted by the Environmental Quality Commission in October, the waste could be removed and disposed of as asbestos either by a licensed asbestos abatement contractor or by the property owner. Oregon DEQ publishes a list of licensed asbestos abatement contractors. There are restrictions to the owner-cleanup method; for example, only volunteer labor may be used. All the regular packaging and disposal regulations apply – the material must be wetted and double-bagged or wrapped in accordance with federal asbestos disposal regulations. It is also more expensive to dispose of asbestos than regular debris. Finally, rule variances aside, asbestos is still a cancer and lung disease hazard, and most property owners lack the specialized equipment and training to perform this work safely. For information about this option, please call LRAPA (541-736-1056).

  2. The second option is to have the site surveyed by an AHERA-certified inspector to determine whether or not asbestos is present in the debris. The inspector will devise a testing plan to analyze samples of the debris. DEQ publishes a partial list of certified inspectors in Oregon. Please note that some accredited inspectors have chosen not to be included on that published list.

  • If the survey finds no asbestos in the debris tested, then that debris does not need to be managed as asbestos-containing material. However, some special handling is required for the material to be accepted at the landfill. To prevent ash blow-out in transit and when dumping at the landfill, the ash must be thoroughly wetted. Dump beds and drop boxes used to haul ash must be lined with plastic in such a way as to allow the plastic to be pulled over the material after it’s loaded.

    When the debris arrives at the landfill, the driver will be asked to present a copy of the asbestos survey report. That report should indicate that no asbestos was found, or there should be documentation that any asbestos that was found has been abated by a licensed contractor. Landfill operators are required to document that the debris they accept does not contain asbestos.

  • If the survey finds that some asbestos is present, then the inspector who performed the survey must determine whether the asbestos is confined to a certain area, or whether it is distributed throughout the debris. Based on that determination, it is possible that only some areas of the debris must be managed as asbestos, and that the remainder can be removed as normal demolition material. If the asbestos is distributed throughout the debris, though, then all the debris will need to be managed as asbestos.

If a structure was built after January 1, 2004, no asbestos survey is required. The debris may be managed as non-asbestos waste. The same ash management procedures (wetted and wrapped) apply, and each load must be accompanied by documentation that the debris came from a structure built after January 1, 2004. That documentation could include a property summary from Lane County Assessment and Taxation, and RLID report or other documentation. For more information about this documentation requirement, call Lane County Waste Management Division at 541-682-4120. A receptionist will take your name, property address and contact information, and one of our technical staff will call you back.

Safety Guidance for Debris Management

State and federal agencies are assisting county and local emergency management agencies with assessing hazards and removing ash, debris and hazardous substances from wildfire impacted areas.

It is recommended that you do not disturb ash or debris on your property until after it has been assessed by hazardous materials response professionals. There may be hazards such as asbestos fibers, toxic chemicals, and electrical or structural hazards on your property.

Ash and debris from burned houses, sheds and other structures can be hazardous, particularly when particles are inhaled. This ash and partially burned debris may contain asbestos, mercury, lead, cadmium, chromium and a variety of other dangerous chemicals.

Before you return to your property

After contacting your insurance company, property owners should develop a plan before returning to the area that was burned.

  • Be sure you know exactly what your insurer is willing to reimburse you for. Costs can be higher than you’d think, so make sure you know what your potential financial liability will be.
  • Likewise, if you plan to apply for assistance from FEMA, make sure you know that the work you’re doing is eligible before you start. If it isn’t, you may not receive the assistance you expected.

Use caution around debris

  • Be aware of all electrical hazards – including those from downed power lines, unstable walking surfaces and sharp objects buried in the ash. Use extreme caution at all times when near the debris.

  • Wear sturdy footwear, eye goggles and heavy duty work gloves. If possible, wear disposable coveralls and dispose of them after use. If you do not wear disposable coveralls, make sure to have a clean set of clothes to change into after working or rummaging in debris and ashes.

  • Cloth face coverings, paper masks or bandanas are not very effective at filtering out fine airborne ash, dust or asbestos fibers. N95 and KN95 respirators, if properly fit tested and worn, can offer some protection from airborne particles. See more about masks in next section.

  • Before cleaning up ash and other debris, get the material tested to determine if it contains asbestos. Many homes and buildings have materials with asbestos. Asbestos use has decreased significantly over the years, but asbestos still exists in some building materials produced today. If it contains asbestos, hire a licensed asbestos abatement contractor. Ash must be adequately wetted to control dust that can become airborne. Water may not always be available, but it is one of the most important means to control ash and asbestos. Don’t use a leaf blower to clean up ash, it will create more airborne particles.

  • Clean recyclable materials such as metals and concrete with water prior to transport, if possible. This is to reduce the spread of asbestos or other contaminants in the ash.

  • Wash any recovered personal items with water or wipe with a damp cloth to remove potentially toxic dust.

  • Children should not be involved in clean-up activities. Do not let children near the debris or in an area where they might breathe airborne particles left from the fire. It’s also important to avoid spreading ash and debris around your property.

  • Household chemicals may be dangerous to handle, so take care before handling paints, bleaches, oils or other household hazardous wastes that may be partially burned.

  • Call your local garbage hauler or transfer station with questions about waste disposal.

Masks and respirators

Cloth face coverings, paper masks or bandanas are not very effective at filtering out fine airborne ash, dust or asbestos fibers. This is because they typically do not have a tight fit around the face. However, they are good for minimizing the release of droplets that help spread COVID-19. N95 respirators, if properly fit tested and worn, can offer some protection from airborne particles. KN95s are similar to N95s. Some are NIOSH approved, but do not meet health care standards. KN95s need to fit well enough to form a seal and be properly worn. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Respirator Fact Sheet

Before you rebuild or begin demolition

State rules govern various aspects of managing and removing asbestos, and these rules are in place to protect public health. Refer to DEQ's guidance on asbestos or contact DEQ prior to starting any demolition activities.

More Information:

Asbestos Information

Ash and debris from burnt structures may contain asbestos and is subject to regulation by Oregon DEQ and LRAPA.

See the section above titled "I want to clean up my burned property myself. What do I need to do?" for more information.

Asbestos and Solid Waste Contacts serving Lane County:
  • Asbestos (Lane Regional Air Protection Agency): 541-736-1056
  • Solid Waste: 541-686-7868

Multi-Agency Resource Center


Multi-Agency Resource Center

Lane County Recovery Assistance Services will be available at the following locations, during the following times:


  • Lane Events Center: October 19-October 28 - Monday through Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (796 W. 13th Avenue, Eugene. Enter at 13th and Jefferson Street and park at the Orange/D gate. Follow the sidewalk to Meeting Room #2)
  • Leaburg Discovery Center:  Starting October 22 - Thursdays from 10am-3pm.  (Mile Post 24, 446343 McKenzie Hwy)
  • Blue River Relief Center:  Starting November 6th - Fridays from 10am-12pm (McKenzie High School, 51187 Blue River Drive)
  • Upper McKenzie Community Center: Starting November 6th - Fridays from 1pm-3pm (54745 McKenzie River Drive)

Other resources include:

Community Resilience Resources:

Red Cross Shelter Assistance (shelter for evacuees): 541-214-4999

FEMA Disaster Assistance: To register your claim, call 1-800-621-3362

Emotional Support Line: 1(800) 923 -4357

White Bird Crisis Line (mental health): 541-687-4000

Senior and Disability Services: 541-682-3353

DHS: SNAP and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families: 541-726-3525

Disaster Stress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. (This line is available in 100 languages. 24 hours a day 7 days a week)

DevNW HUD-certified housing/financial counseling: 541-345-7106

Catholic Community Services: Housing and utility assistance: 541-345-3628

Food for Lane County (food boxes and pantries): 541-343-2822

Relief Nursery (parenting and childcare resources): 541-485-0007

Senior Loneliness Line: 503-200-1633

PacificSource CCO: 541-330-2507

Trillium CCO: 541-485-2155

Aging & Disability Resource Connection (senior referral services): 541-606-6025


Shelter Information

The temporary evacuation sites have been transitioned to being offered by telephone.  The Red Cross is available to offer resources to those who have been impacted by the Holiday Farm Fires.  For Red Cross resources, please call 1-888-680-1455 or 1-503-284-1234. 

The Cottage Grove Masonic Hall (33322 Row River Road) is also open for those who have been evacuated. They have space for additional recreational vehicles. There are restrooms, showers and a laundry facility. Please call Eston Wicks (541-968-3829) before arriving to confirm space availability.

RV Sites:

Veneta – Space with no utilities, must be self-contained. Animals if friendly and controlled (goats and other animals on the site). Call Con at (541) 729-7498. Evacuees only.

Northwest Eugene area– Space with Lights, 3 portable restrooms, access to EWEB hose connection. Space for up to 50 RV’s. Call Jordan (541) 321-3654.

Wildfire Damage Housing Relief Program

The Oregon Legislature created the Wildfire Damage Housing Relief program to fill the gaps that FEMA and private insurance can’t cover for very low income Oregonians. The home that was lost or damaged must be the primary residence.

To learn more about the program and who might qualify, read this short document.

To apply, visit

Renter Resources

If you rented an apartment, a house, or space for a manufactured home and your housing was affected
by the wildfire, this information is for you. More information about how to get help is available at and at


Gather your ID, any documents you have that show where you were living before the fire, and any proof of your status as a renter. A copy of a rental agreement is best, but you can also use a receipt for your rent, a utility bill in your name, or a letter or email from your landlord or property manager. If you have renter’s insurance, you should also contact your insurer for information about what your insurance will cover. You can use your renter’s insurance policy as proof of your residence and your status as a renter.

It’s also important to hold onto receipts or other proof of payment for things you buy while you’re in shelter — like food, water, or clothing.


FEMA can help with money to pay for substitute housing, to replace property that was lost or destroyed in the fire, or for medical expenses. See the "Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Disaster Assistance Program" section below to learn how to apply.


Yes. As a renter you retain protection under the law. Learn more at

There are sample letters (English and Spanish) created by Legal Aid Services of Oregon for renters to send to their landlords.

Insurance, Documentation and Financial Information

Evacuation Documentation for Insurance Companies

This map was created to help residents provide documentation regarding evacuation notifications to their insurance companies. To use the map:


1.      Search your address using only the street number and name (e.g. 37116 Boiler Creek – not 37116 Boiler Creek Road).

2.      Use the menu on the right to view the property status for each day by checking the box to the left of the date in question.

3.      Select the printer icon at the top right to bring up the print menu and then select “Print” to create a PDF.

4.      Open your PDF by double-clicking on the file name (the default is “GIS Web Map”) next to the Adobe icon.

5.      Save or print according to your needs.


Evacuation levels may have changed several times for each property. You will need to save a record for each day to capture accurately the evacuation levels for your property throughout the incident. Make sure to turn off one date, before turning on another or multiple “layers” may display on top of each other.

You can also download a document listing all issued evacuation notifications for your records.

Structural Assessment Information

The initial structural damage assessments have been completed within the Holiday Farm Fire perimeter. Lane County, Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office and other public safety partners began the assessments on September 13, 2020.

Residents can view information regarding their property online. The database includes a designation of property status and photos of the property.

As of September 21, 2020, 431 residences and 24 non-residential structures have been identified as being destroyed by the fire.

To find a property, enter the street number and simple road name only (do not add RD/ROAD, LN/LANE, HWY/HIGHWAY, etc.) and let the system find and display the address to select.

Damage categories are determined based on the worst damage to at least one structure on the property. The category name (such as "destroyed") may not apply to all structures equally. See photos for more detail.

Property owners should download and save the photos for their records, including sharing the photos and damage assessment information with insurers.

Lane County’s non-emergency call center for the Holiday Farm Fire is available to assist residents with accessing the database and information about their properties. The call center is available at 541-682-3977 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Fire-damaged structures can be extremely hazardous and residents are encouraged to have professionals assess and deal with damaged property. Serious hazards can include unstable and falling debris, toxic substance exposure including asbestos and eye/lung/skin impact from ash and other irritants. See more safety information below.

Insurance Tips for Wildfire Recovery

Insurance tips for wildfire recovery

The Oregon Division of Financial Regulation has five tips for homeowners and renters who have evacuated or been affected by fire, smoke, and ash damage.

  • Call your insurance company to check your policy. Let your company know if you have evacuated. Coverage is typically available for fire, smoke, and ash damage to your home and personal property.

  • Ask about your auto coverage, too. You need comprehensive coverage on your auto policy to cover fire, smoke, and ash damage, no matter where your vehicle is located at time of the loss.

  • If you had to evacuate, save your receipts and, when it is safe, let your insurance company know you evacuated. Your homeowners policy may pay for expenses such as lodging, food, and even pet boarding due to a mandatory evacuation. Be sure to check with your insurance company to confirm your specific coverage.

  • If you have not evacuated and it is safe to do so, make a quick home inventory by taking photos or video of each room in your home. Pay close attention to what is on the walls and in drawers and closets. Don’t forget storage areas such as the attic and garage. Check your insurance company’s website for an app or checklist that will help. Or use the Insure U Home Inventory Checklist.

  • If your personal belongings are damaged, the insurance company will request a list of items that are damaged or destroyed. Take some time to work on your home inventory list now. Look through your photos and videos to help recall personal items. Be sure to look for smaller items, such as jewelry. To the best of your ability, write down the age, original cost, and replacement cost of each item.

Following these tips will help save you money, time, and stress during a wildfire. For more information on preparing for a wildfire, visit the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation’s wildfire page.

Oregonians that have been forced to evacuate their homes because of area wildfires should contact their insurance companies as soon as possible to let them know they have evacuated and discuss next steps. If you still have questions or concerns, the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation’s Advocacy Team can help.

Need Help?
Call Oregon Division of Financial Regulation at 888-877-4894 (toll-free) or visit

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Disaster Assistance Program

** FEMA has set up an External Outreach Center where residents can get information about their FEMA applications, ask questions about letters they receive from FEMA, and have their documents scanned into their case files. The Center is open 7 days per week from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Lane Events Center Meeting Room #1 (796 W. 13th Avenue, Eugene.)**

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Disaster Assistance Program

The Disaster Assistance Program (DAIP) provides disaster survivors with information, support, services and a means to access and apply for disaster assistance.

The DAIP website provides links to federal disaster relief applications and qualification information, links, forms, additional resources, and the ability to check on the status of an application.

Apply for Disaster Assistance


Internet or Smartphone Application


Disaster survivors may apply for the Individuals and Households Program at and set up a Disaster Assistance Center (DAC) account to check on their application status and upload documents. Disaster survivors may also access FEMA via smartphone by downloading the application from or through their mobile provider’s application store.


By Phone


Disaster survivors may call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362 to register for assistance or check their application status. Disaster survivors who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use TTY may call 800-462-7585. Disaster survivors who use 711 or VRS (Video Relay Service) may call 800-621-3362.


How can FEMA help you?


Assistance from FEMA may help you and members of your household affected by a disaster take care of necessary expenses and serious needs that cannot be met through insurance or other forms of assistance.


Housing Assistance


Housing Assistance may provide financial assistance including:

  • Rental Assistance: Financial assistance to rent temporary housing while disaster-caused repairs are made to your primary residence, or while transitioning to permanent housing.
  • Lodging Expense Reimbursement: Financial assistance reimbursement for short-term lodging expenses.
  • Home Repair: Financial assistance for homeowners to repair uninsured home damage caused by the disaster. The assistance is intended to repair the home to a safe, sanitary and functional living condition.
  • Home Replacement: Financial assistance for homeowners who must replace or rebuild their primary residence as a result of the disaster.


Other Needs Assistance


  • Personal Property: Financial assistance to repair or replace common household items including, but not limited to, furnishings, appliances, essential tools and assistive equipment that supports daily living activities. Also includes generators and chainsaws purchased or rented within 30 days after Aug. 22.
  • Medical/Dental: Financial assistance to pay for medical or dental expenses or losses caused by the disaster. This includes, but is not limited to, hospital and ambulance services, medication, and the repair or replacement of medically necessary assistive devices or technology.
  • Funeral: Financial assistance for expenses incurred due to a death or disinterment caused directly or indirectly by the disaster. Expenses include, but are not limited to, the cost of a casket or urn and funeral services.
  • Child Care: Financial assistance for increased child care costs as a result of the disaster. Eligible expenses include child care costs for children aged 13 and under and/or children with a disability, as defined by Federal law, up to age 21, who need assistance with activities of daily living.
  • Transportation: Financial assistance to repair or replace a vehicle damaged by the disaster.
  • Moving and Storage Expenses: Financial assistance to temporarily move and store personal property from the damaged primary residence while repairs are made. Assistance may also be provided for moving essential household goods to a new primary residence.


Eligibility Criteria for Housing and Other Needs Assistance


  • Your disaster losses must be in a county that has been Presidentially designated to receive Individual Assistance;
  • A member of your household must be a United States citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien;
  • You have necessary expenses or serious needs as a result of the disaster that are not covered by insurance, or you filed an insurance claim but your benefits are not enough to cover your expenses, or your damage was not covered by insurance or other sources.


What to Do If You Disagree with FEMA’s Decision Letter:

If you received a letter from FEMA that says you’re ineligible, that’s not the last word. A quick fix, like providing more information, may change your status.

You have the right to appeal FEMA’s eligibility decisions including the amount of your award.

For information regarding potential reasons FEMA may deny assistance, please review this document.


When do I need to submit my appeal?

You must submit your appeal within 60 days of the date on your eligibility notification letter.


What do I need to provide?


A signed, written explanation outlining why you believe FEMA’s decision is incorrect and copies of any documents supporting your appeal, including proof of your disaster losses.

Often, applicants need only to submit extra documents for FEMA to process their application. FEMA can reconsider your application in some cases if you:

  • Submit insurance documents. Provide documents from your insurance company that show your policy coverage and/or settlement is not enough to make essential home repairs, provide a place to stay, or replace certain contents. FEMA cannot duplicate homeowner or renter insurance benefits.
  • Prove occupancy. Provide documents that prove the damaged home or rental was your primary residence by supplying a copy of utility bills, driver’s license or lease.
  • Prove ownership. Provide mortgage or insurance documents, tax receipts or a deed. If you don’t have a deed handy, contact your local or county officials about obtaining a copy.
  • Lost documents. Visit the following website for information on replacing lost documents:


Your full name, your FEMA Application Number and Disaster Number, your pre- disaster primary residence address, and your current phone number and address should be included on all submitted documents. These numbers are printed on Page 1 of your Decision Letter, above your name and address.


How long will it take before I know if my appeal is approved or denied?


You will receive a decision letter from FEMA within 90 days of FEMA’s receipt of your appeal. To check the status of your appeal, or to notify FEMA of any change to your mailing address or contact information, please visit and select Check Your Application Status, or call FEMA’s Helpline at 800-621-3362.


Who can I call if I have questions about my appeal?


Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (voice/711/VRS). For Spanish, press 2. TTY: 800-621-3362. Or


Where do I send my appeal?


Mail to:


P.O. Box 10055

Hyattsville, Md. 20782-8055 OR

Fax to:


Attn: FEMA Appeals Officer

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

Quick Links:

Certain Oregon disaster survivors who have lost work as a direct result of the Oregon wildfires since Sept. 7 are eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). The deadline to file a claim is October 23, 2020.

DUA benefits are available to workers in the eight Oregon counties that have been federally designated for disaster assistance: Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, and Marion.

DUA is funded by FEMA and administered by the Oregon Employment Department.

The purpose of DUA is to help workers whose primary incomes have been lost or interrupted by a federally declared disaster. It differs from regular state unemployment insurance because it also provides benefits to people who are self-employed, farmers, loggers and employees who work on commission. In addition, it helps those who are unable to reach their place of employment or are unable to work because of an injury as a direct result of the fires.

To receive DUA, an individual must not receive regular state unemployment, pandemic emergency unemployment compensation or pandemic unemployment assistance. Claimants must also meet normal eligibility requirements for an Oregon Unemployment Insurance claim.

The deadline to file a claim is Oct. 23, 2020. Required documentation, including proof of employment or self-employment at the time of the wildfires or income for 2019, must be submitted within 21 days of filing.

To apply:

  • Visit
  • Call 503-570-5000 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
  • Packets are available at some evacuation sites and state WorkSource Centers.

Oregon DUA benefits apply to weeks of unemployment beginning with the week starting Sept. 13 and will be available through March 20, 2021, as long as the individual's unemployment continues as a result of the wildfires.

Disaster Food Benefits

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) provides temporary food assistance for households affected by a natural disaster. DSNAP provides one month of benefits on an Oregon EBT card to eligible disaster survivors and can facilitate the issuance of supplemental SNAP benefits for ongoing households.


DSNAP is available for those who lived or worked in Clackamas, Douglas, Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn and Marion counties on Sept. 7, 2020.




Open application time will happen between Friday, Oct. 23 and Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2020. Residents can apply for Disaster Food Benefits online based on the first letter of your last name.


October 28 is the last day to apply. The DSNAP program will be closed to new applicants on October 29, 2020.

Property Taxes and Damaged or Destroyed Property

Property Taxes and Damaged or Destroyed Property

Property damaged or destroyed by the recent fire may be eligible for a proration of 2020-21 property taxes.

Please note that the value on the account for the tax year in which the damage or destruction occurred is not reduced. The 2020-21 tax statements will not reflect any recent change to the property. Any loss in value will be noted when the account is revalued on January 1, 2021 and reflected on the next tax statement.

However, if your property was damaged or destroyed by the recent fire and/or wind events, you may be eligible for a proration of your 2020-21 property taxes. Here’s how that works:

For damaged property
, the percentage of assessed value lost is multiplied by the total tax on the account for the month the property was damaged and for each month the property remained damaged during the tax year.

For example, if:

  • the property was damaged in September 2020
  • not repaired by July 1, 2021
  • 80% of the assessed value is lost (the damage is to the improvements only)
  • the total 2020-21 tax bill is $2,400

Then: $2,400 / 12 = $200 * 10 (months) = $2,000 * 80% = $1,600.

The homeowner is required to notify the Assessor’s Office when the damage has been repaired. Any refund is calculated when the property is repaired or the fiscal year ends, whichever comes first.

For destroyed property
, the percentage of value lost is multiplied by the total tax on the account for each month following the month of destruction through the end of the tax year whether or not the property is repaired.

The refund process can start as soon as the appraiser verifies the destruction and the amount of loss.

application is available online.

Applications must be submitted to the Lane County Assessor’s Office by June 30, 2021. They can be dropped off, mailed to the address below or e-mailed to

Most, if not all, properties will need to be physically inspected for damage. Once our staff is allowed to be in the affected area, our office will make it a priority to respond to these requests.

Additional information can be found at

Vital Records and DMV Services

Quick Links:

The wildfires devastating Oregon are leaving many without vital records and essential DMV documents including things like a driver license, ID card or proof of vehicle ownership. Certified copies of vital records are required to get social security benefits, a driver’s license, passport, and other legal documents.

The Oregon Health Authority, in response to the Governor’s Executive Order 20-35, is waiving certain fees for vital records for those affected by wildfire. Many Oregon families may have lost all vital documents due to the wildfires. This temporary rule provides up to three certified copies of Oregon vital records free of charge if requested in connection with Executive Order 20-35. This new rule will remain in effect until March 1, 2021.

OHA Vital Records:
The OHA’s Vital Records office provides certified copies of birth certificates, death certificates, and other vital records in Oregon.

To order OHA vital records:

  • Call OHA Vital Records office at 888-896-4988
  • Order online:

DMV documents: Most damaged DMV documents can be replaced through an online request at DMV2U. Prior to ordering, have available your driver license or ID card number, plus other information known only to you.

Need Help? Call:

  • OHA for General Vital Records Information at 971-673-1190

  • DMV Customer Assistance at 503-945-5000



Safety Information for Returning Residents

Boil Water Advisories

Safely Managing Ash and Debris

It is recommended that you do not disturb ash or debris on your property until after it has been assessed by hazardous materials response professionals. There may be hazards such as asbestos fibers, toxic chemicals, and electrical or structural hazards on your property.

See the "Debris Management" section above for more information.

Wells, Septic & Other Non-Community-Water-System Concerns

As you return to your property, it is vital to do a thorough inspection of your property’s utilities before resuming use. Below you’ll find information for what things to look for and links to more information about well water, surface water and septic systems in a post-fire area.

Well water

The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has information on what are the responsibilities of a homeowner for maintaining private wells or intake to ensure water is safe to drink. Please visit the DEQ’s website for more information.

First visually inspect enclosures, power supply, controls, water treatment equipment, pressure- and holding tanks, pipes and other infrastructure. If damage is obvious, have a licensed contractor assess the damage and make repairs.

Check household fixtures and plumbing and test faucets for water flow. Sputtering or other presence of air in the line can indicate a loss of system pressure that could have allowed bacteria contamination.

Private well owners are not required to conduct sampling and testing unless there is a property transfer; however, both the Oregon Health Authority and the DEQ recommend testing every year or two, and water should be tested before consuming post-fire. While waiting for water quality test results, water can be used for bathing and flushing toilets but avoid consuming the water and use clean water from another source (such as bottled potable water) for drinking and cooking.

The OHA has a page dedicated to well treatment and safety as well as a helpful resources page that includes contacts for finding an accredited laboratory to test your well water and licensed well contractors.

Surface water

Ash, structure debris, fire suppression chemicals, sediment and other contaminants often settle on and run into surface water sources like streams, ponds or drainages (including rain barrels).

Examine any systems that utilize these sources for damage, clogs or contamination.

Provide alternative water sources for livestock, etc. until water quality can be assured.

Septic systems

Though typically several feet underground, septic systems can be damaged by firefighting activity like digging, trenching or heavy equipment or affected by smoldering fires that stay hot in the root systems of trees near your property.

Check the area around your septic system for damage. If sewage is visibly exposed or at the surface, secure the area from access, especially by children or pets. Contact Lane County for assistance assessing the wastewater treatment system. You can find all the information you need about how to contact customer service and how to schedule an inspection on the On-Site Wastewater page.

Scam Alert

Quick Links:

When natural disasters occur, it is common for some people to try to take advantage of survivors by posing as official disaster aid workers trying to help survivors complete their applications.

Scam attempts can be made over the phone, by mail, email, text or in person. Survivors of the Oregon wildfires should be aware of scams and report any suspicious activity or potential fraud from scam artists, identity thieves and other criminals.

Federal and state workers never ask for, or accept, money and always carry identification badges. There is no fee required to apply for, or to get, federal disaster assistance. There is never a fee for FEMA home inspections.

If something makes you feel uncomfortable, check with FEMA or local law enforcement to ensure your identity is protected.

Those who question the validity of a contact, or suspect fraud, are encouraged to call the FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721. Complaints also may be made by contacting local law enforcement.

FEMA also recommends you monitor your credit report for any accounts or changes you do not recognize. If you discover someone is using your information, you will need to take additional steps, to include filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission through its website


Land Management, Building and Permit Information


Land Management Temporary Office in Leaburg

Lane County Land Management will have a temporary office at McKenzie Fire’s Leaburg Station (42870 McKenzie Highway) on Fridays from 10:00 to 2:00. It will be staffed with two people that that can answer questions about rebuilding and issue permits for RVs.


RV permits are required so that the RVs will be located with consideration to floodways, riparian areas, septic tanks, and drain fields. Fees will be waived for permits associated with the RVs being used for those displaced by the Holiday Farm Fire.


We want to thank McKenzie Fire District for making the office space available!


Voting and USPS Information

Voting for Oregonians Displaced by Wildfires

Voting for Oregonians Displaced by Wildfires

Lane County Elections has information for voters who have been displaced by wildfires.

How can I receive my ballot if I have been displaced by wildfires?

  1. Lane County will mail local ballots on October 15. If you know an address where you will be able to receive mail then, you can add a temporary mailing address at

  2. A paper form to provide Lane County Elections with a temporary address is also available.

  3. You can pick up all mail (including ballots once they are mailed) at the post office that serves your permanent residence address.

If I submit a change of address through USPS will my ballot be forwarded to the new address?

NO. Ballots are not forwardable. It is one of the security features of our system. You must inform election officials of your temporary address using one of the methods above in order to have your ballot sent there.

Do I need to register to vote from my temporary address?

NO. You do not need to re-register to vote if you are living somewhere temporarily because you have been displaced by wildfires. You just need to let election officials know where to mail your ballot by one of the methods above.

Will I be able to vote on the local measures where my permanent address is located even if I am temporarily living outside that area?

YES. The ballot you receive will contain the contests for your residential address, not your temporary mailing address.

What if my mailbox was destroyed?

If mail cannot be delivered to your home or mailbox, it will be held at your local post office and you can pick it up there.

What if I have other elections questions?

Contact Lane County Elections at 541-682-4234. The elections office is closed to all walk-in customers and is providing all services by phone, mail, electronically, or by appointment.

Lane County Elections, 275 W. 10th Ave., Eugene, OR 97401-3008

USPS Residential Service Disruptions – Update for Blue River and Vida Post Offices

Quick Link:

Check for daily Residential service disruptions updates:

Retail operations have been relocated due to wildfires until further notice.

Blue River Post Office, 91160 McCauley St., 97413 — This office is temporarily closed. Retail services have been redirected to Walterville Post Office, 39333 McKenzie Hwy, 97489. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Saturday.

Vida Post Office, 45598 McKenzie Hwy, 97488 — This office is temporarily closed. Retail services have been redirected to Walterville Post Office, 39333 McKenzie Hwy, 97489. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Saturday.

The offices below have resumed normal operations.

Walterville Post Office, 39333 McKenzie Hwy, 97489. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Saturday.

Marcola Post Office, 92162 Marcola Rd., 97454-9789. Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Saturday.

For facility accessibility check:, or call:
Marcola Post Office: Phone 541-933-2821; TTY 877-889-2457
Walterville Post Office: Phone 541-746-5184; TTY 877-889-2457

Small Business Resources

Small Business Administration Loan Information

Businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. The SBA can also lend additional funds to help business and residents with the cost of making improvements that protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future.

For small businesses and most private nonprofit organizations of all sizes, SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic injury assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any property damage. The deadline to apply for economic injury is June 15, 2021.

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace their damaged or destroyed primary residence. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.

Interest rates can be as low as 3 percent for businesses, 2.75 percent for private nonprofit organizations and 1.188 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing may call (800) 877-8339. Completed applications should be mailed to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.

SBA continues to provide one-on-one assistance to disaster loan applicants through the following virtual centers on the days and times indicated.

Virtual Business Recovery Center and
Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center
Monday – Sunday (7 days/week)
8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EDT
(800) 659-2955

Small Business Development Center Resources

Quick Links:


Wildfires, snow, wind, floods and earthquakes can wreak havoc on your business.

US Small Business Administration (USSBA)Stands Ready to Assist Oregon Businesses and Residents Affected by Wildfires and Straight-line Winds.

Virtual Business Recovery Center and Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center:Customer Service Representatives will be available to business owners and individuals to answer questions about SBA’s disaster loan program, explain the application process and help each person complete their electronic loan application.
  • Monday – Sunday (7 days/week) 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EDT
  • (800) 659-2955;

The Lane Small Business Development Center (LSBDC), serves as a resource partner to USSBA, provides information on different types of available government and insurance assistance, how to connect with these resources, which are the best fit for your business short- and long-term needs and helps navigate the USSBA application process. 541-463-6200; and

Post-Wildfire Considerations:
  • Establish an Emergency Operating Budget.
  • Ensure YTD Financials are up to date and accurate.
  • Gather Key Information - assets lists, tax returns, insurance policies.
  • Create/Update your Personal Financial Statement.
  • Be able to demonstrate Wildfire Impact separate from COVID impact.

Take note of the following considerations:
  • EIDL loan applications for wildfire will be significantly more involved and detailed than for COVID. Be prepared.
  • SBA Disaster Assistance Loans are not a "first source" of recovery capital, requiring proof that credit is not available elsewhere.
  • SBA will not decline a loan for lack of collateral, but they will assign what collateral is available.

Need Assistance? Call:
  • US SBDC at (800) 659-2955
  • Lane SBDC at 541-463-6200

Learn More:

Dislocated Worker Program

Was your business or job impacted by the Holiday Farm Fire?  The Lane County Dislocated Worker Program can help connect you/your employees to Unemployment Insurance, Disaster Unemployment Insurance, Healthcare benefits, retraining funds and other resources. 

Please contact Hillary Moran, Lane County Dislocated Worker Liaison, at Please include your business name, number of impacted employees and the best way to contact you directly.  Virtual and in-person appointments available in Springfield and Eugene. 

Other Services and Information

Cellular Communications and Wi-Fi Access

** Tuesday, October 6, power will be cut from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the McKenzie Bridge area to allow crews to continue restoration work. Please be aware that this will also mean the temporary cellular towers and Wi-Fi connection points will be down during this time.**

Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile have placed mobile equipment in the McKenzie Bridge area to help provide cellular coverage and Wi-Fi while repairs to communications infrastructure continue.
We are thankful for their assistance and willingness to continue providing these mobile assets and trouble-shooting providing coverage in a geographically challenging area.
To see the coverage area and free Wi-Fi hotspots for McKenzie Bridge, view the images below. You are not required to be a subscriber to access the Wi-Fi hotspots; you can connect using a smartphone, tablet or computer.
Instructions for Wi-Fi calling are available at:

Veterans Services

Quick Links:

Lane County Veterans Services provides veterans, dependents and survivors assistance or answers questions about Veteran Benefits:
  • Filing for disability claims (both service-connected and non service-connected)
  • Obtaining military records
  • Applying for VA Health Care
  • Applying for VA Education Benefits
  • Applying for Surviving Spouse Benefits

Forms: Veterans’ Services will provide the forms that are required for your situation.


Call Lane County Veterans Services at 541-682-4191 from 8:00 a.m to Noon and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Lane County Waste Management

Quick Link: Waste Management Lane

McKenzie Bridge and Vida transfer stations have resumed normal operating hours:

  • McKenzie Bridge: Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Vida: Wednesday - Saturday from 9am - 5pm

For the most up-to-date information, see , or call 541-682-4120.

Road & Other Closures

Please check for road closures.

Hwy 126 (McKenzie Hwy)
: Please check for closure updates or sign up for news releases from ODOT through Flash Alert by visiting

Fire Respose Information

Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) is the lead fire-fighting agency currently assigned to the Holiday Farm Fire. 

Updates regarding firefighting progress can be found on Inciweb at

For questions related to fire response please send email to:

Follow ODF on FacebookTwitter and Instagram for additional updates.

Mental Health & Wellbeing

The Lane County Community Resilience Toolkit provides a variety of resources designed to aid community healing.

Oregon Safe + StrongHelpline: 1-800-923-HELP (4357).
The line offers emotional support and resources to anyone who is struggling and seeking support. Callers do not need to be in a crisis tocontact this line. Help is free and available 24/7.

Ways to Help

United Way of Lane County
has an emergency fund to support local wildfire response efforts across Lane County.

United Way’s Wildfire Response Funds will specifically support nonprofits and community organizations assisting community members who have experienced the loss of a home or business, or are otherwise impacted as a result of the 2020 fires. Funds raised will support these organizations in Lane County working directly to meet the needs of families and individuals affected by the fire.

Grants will be awarded to eligible organizations, which must provide services in Lane County, Oregon, have 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, be classified as a public entity, or have a qualified fiscal sponsor (i.e. a sponsoring tax-exempt organization).

Funds can be used for food relief, shelter assistance, childcare assistance, health care services, and other supports for vulnerable populations.

Community members and organizations interested in contributing to this local fund can donate online at; by mailing checks to United Way of Lane County at 3171 Gateway Loop, Springfield, OR 97477, or by calling (541) 741-6000.

Organizations can apply for funds on a rolling basis, with grants distributed every two weeks as funds are available. Applications and more information can be found at  

The Red Cross is accepting donations for the Western Wildfires, as well as our local Red Cross Cascades chapter.

COVID-19 Information -

Find updates and information in English and Español