Waste & Recycling Frequently Asked Questions

Who picks up my garbage & recycling at the curb?

Lane County does not provide curbside collection services. Cities generally license, franchise or provide curbside service inside city limits. 

Outside city limits, and within the Urban Growth Boundary,  Lane County is responsible for ensuring that your garbage company provides the opportunity to recycle.  

This is the list of collection service providers that we know of and the areas they serve.

How do I find out if something is recyclable or not?

Lane County communities have slightly varying recycling instruction for curbside pick up.  Lane County transfer stations have more options,  and specific businesses and recyclers offer still more options.

To find out if something is recyclable in Lane County,  just go to Lane County's Garbage Guru!


Type in the item you are wondering about and select one of the dropdown options provided.  If nothing comes up for the item you are looking for,  click search, and at the bottom you will be given opportunity to suggest your item be added.

What are your hours?

The Glenwood Transfer Station is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m, Monday through Saturday.  It is open on Sundays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. between April 1 and September 30. It is closed on Sundays between October 1 and March 31.

View hours of all other sites here.

Administrative and technical staff office hours are Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 

How much does it cost to dump garbage?

All loads at Glenwood and Short Mountain Landfill,  as well as commercial loads at Florence, are calculated by weight.  View schedule of fees for commercial and scale loads here.

At Lane County's 14 rural transfer sites, disposal fees are calculated by volume. Rebates of $1 off  are offered for senior citizens (60 and older) and for recycling prior to dumping garbage (minimum 10 pounds).

A full schedule of fees can be accessed here.  There is a 10 yard maximum allowed per customer, per day, at rural sites. 

How do I get to the Glenwood Transfer Station?

From Eugene:  Take Franklin Blvd. east into Glenwood. Turn right onto Glenwood Blvd., then right onto E. 17th Ave.

From Springfield:  Take Main Street west into Glenwood. Turn left onto Glenwood Blvd., then right onto E. 17th Ave.

Via Interstate 5 northbound OR southbound:   Take Glenwood/East Eugene Exit # 191. At overpass, turn right onto Glenwood Blvd. and proceed approx. ¼ mile to intersection with E. 17th Avenue. Turn left (west) onto E. 17th, which dead-ends into the Glenwood Transfer Station front gate one block ahead.

View Map

What kinds of things can I bring?

We accept non-hazardous solid waste as garbage and 25 different types of materials for recycling.  If you are not sure about an item, please check the list of prohibited items below.  If you still have questions, please give us a call at 541-682-4120.

What items do you not accept?

We do not accept liquid wastes and other prohibited wastes as garbage -- including electronics, motor oil, tires, appliances, asbestos-containing materials, and auto batteries. 

We have recycling options at all our transfer stations for auto batteries, appliances, motor oil, and tires, as well as free electronics recycling at six of our sites. View a list of Lane County's free electronics recycling locations here

Is it ok if everything is mixed together?

Our sites are arranged so that you can recycle first before dumping your garbage--saving you money.  Please load the garbage first so that it will be the last thing out. Recycling must be separated into several specific categories.  
View recycling options at Lane County transfer stations

Does it cost to recycle?

Most recycling is free, if properly prepared. In fact, recycling before you dump your trash earns you a cool one-dollar rebate on garbage fees.  Follow these instructions for free recycling of papers cans and glass; metals and plastics.  
A few materials do carry a fee: wood waste, yard debris, tires, propane tanks, and appliances with refrigerants.  A full schedule of fees can be viewed here.

Are appliances accepted?

Appliances designed to contain refrigerants will be charged the refrigerant recovery fee of $15.25 (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, heat pumps). 

Other appliances, like washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, water heaters, and microwaves (please remove the glass plate) can be recycled for free in the metal recycling container.

Disposal of appliances as garbage is against the law in Oregon. If a customer disposes an appliance as garbage, the fee for the appliance will be doubled plus any handling fees to retrieve the appliance. The appliance will NOT be returned to the customer.

What should I do with leftover paint?

Residential paint (latex and oil-based) is accepted for free without an appointment in the recycling area at the Glenwood Transfer Station.  There is a maximum of 20 gallons per visit (measured by can size). Maximum container size is 5 gallons.  Cans must have lids and labels intact. No rusty or leaking containers.  If you have rusty or leaking containers or other types of hazardous waste, please call to make a hazardous waste appointment (541-682-4120).

Small businesses can take paint to local paint stores. 

Empty metal cans can be recycled in metal recycling containers at all transfer stations.


At the Glenwood Central Receiving Station, mattresses are charged at $12 per piece up to 4 mattresses.  Loads with 5 or more mattresses will be charged the mattress rate of $205.20/ton (maximum 10 pieces  per visit).
At all other transfer sites, mattresses are treated and charged as regular garbage;  Minimum fee of $12.  See Residential Rates.  Maximum 4 per visit.
At the Short Mt. Landfill, loads with mattresses are charged at $205.20/ton. Dump beds or walking floors required. No hand unloading.

Is paper shredding available?

We do not offer paper shredding. Try a web search, or call International Paper Recycling in Springfield:  (541) 744-4100.

Is wood from home improvement or demolition accepted? What is the cost?

Wood is accepted for recycling at Glenwood, Cottage Grove and Florence for a fee. At all other sites, garbage rates apply.

Other types of construction and demolition waste, including rubble, mixed C&D wastes, stumps etc. are accepted for a fee.

How do I dispose of asbestos?

Asbestos is accepted by appointment at Short Mountain Landfill.  Special packaging procedures are required.  For more information and for disposal fees, please call us at 541-682-4120.

If you need a few asbestos packaging bags for your project, they can be purchased during business hours Monday through Friday at the Building B office at the Glenwood Transfer Station. If your project is large, asbestos disposal bags are available at local safety supply stores.

Disposal of boats?

Boats are accepted at Short Mountain Landfill.  All engine fluids must be drained, and tires must be removed from trailers if the trailer is being disposed. Please call the landfill to make arrangements: 541-726-3047.

Small boats in the 16-18 foot range are also accepted at Glenwood. Engine fluids must be removed. No trailers accepted.

How do I schedule an appointment for free Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) disposal?

Please call 541-682-4120 to make an appointment.  The HHW facility is open every Thursday and Saturday except for a few days each year when we’re holding hazardous waste roundup events in cities around Lane County. 

Do you accept credit cards?

We accept debit and credit cards at all sites EXCEPT London, Sharps Creek, Walton, Low Pass, McKenzie Bridge and Swisshome.  All sites accept cash or in-state checks.