4th boy sentenced in connection with Civic Stadium fire

4th boy sentenced in connection with Civic Stadium fire
Posted on 09/12/2015



EUGENE, Ore. - The fourth youth accused of starting the fire that burned the historic wooden Civic Stadium grandstands to the ground has reached an agreement with prosecutors and juvenile authorities.


The boy signed an admission to the charge of reckless burning, according to Jason Davis with Lane County government.


The boy must complete the terms of his agreement with the county juvenile court within the next 12 months. That includes community service projects; a juvenile fire safety course with Eugene Springfield Fire; meeting curfew and educational requirements; and perform some kind of restitution, Davis said.


"Our goal is never vengeance," Davis said of the youth justice system. "We want to return this child who is still at the very beginning of their life, back to the community in a way that is better for the community and better for the child."


If the boy completes the agreement, the charge of Reckless Burning will be dropped.


The other charges the boy faced - Arson 1, Arson 2, Burglary 2, Criminal Mischief 1 and 2, and Reckless Endangering - are no longer be brought against the youth, Davis said.


If the boy doesn't meet the requirements of his agreement, the court process will resume on the charge of Reckless Burning, Davis said.


"There's a lot of work ahead of this child," Davis said. "I don't want people to get the wrong idea that in any way, shape or form that this child is getting off easy."


Civic Stadium burned to the ground June 29, 2015. The Eugene Civic Alliance had acquired the property from the Eugene 4J School District and planned to renovate the historic wooden ballpark, which hosted its first sporting event in 1938.


Police tracked down 4 boys and charged them with arson. Investigators said the boys started a fire in the press box which spread throughout the structure.


The other 3 preteen boys involved in starting the fire signed their agreements in October and were sentenced to 5 years probation and other conditions.


The difference between the sentences was the judge's decision, Davis said.