Lost A Pet?

What to do if you have lost a pet...


Check out the animals currently at the Greenhill Humane Society.
Greenhill Humane Society phone no.: (541) 689-1503.
88530 Green Hill Rd., Eugene OR 97402
Hours of operation: Mon-Sun 11am - 6pm

Go visit Greenhill Humane Society to see if your pet has been impounded. If your pet is not at the facility, please take the time to fill out a lost report so that the staff will have your information on file if your pet is found.

Check with your Greenhill Humane Society immediately!  Greenhill is required to hold your animal for three (3) business days if it is not wearing valid I.D. and five (5) business days if your animal does have some form of valid identification.  If your animal is displaying tags that are not traceable, such as an invalid address or disconnected phone number, your animal will be held for only three (3) business days.

Pets may not be returned to friends or relatives unless they have verifiable proof from the owner for release.    

Check the newspapers and websites in the Found a Pet and Pets for Sale sections.

Check with your local Veterinary Clinics

Check other shelters in your area.  If you lose your pet close to the Lane County border, check with the shelter in the bordering County.

* Represents animal control agencies and humane societies in the Lane County Area
Albany Dog Control (541) 967-9325 *Junction City, Contact Police Dept (541) 998-1245
Benton Dog Control (541) 753-0732 Linn County Animal Control (541) 967-3925
Central Oregon Humane Society - Bend (541) 382-3537 Linn Humane Society - Albany (541) 928-2789
* Coburg, City of Contact Police Dept (541) 682-7853 * Lowell, City of (541) 937-2157
Corvallis Animal Control (541) 757-0831 * Oakridge, City of (541) 397-2157
* Cottage Grove, City of (541)942-5501 Roseburg SPCA (541) 679-4798
* Creswell, City of (541) 895-2531 * Springfield Animal Control (541) 726-3634
Douglas County Animal Control (541) 440-4328 * Veneta, City of (541) 935-2191
* Greenhill Humane Society (541) 689-1503 Willamette Valley Humane Society - Salem (541) 585-5900
* Oregon Coast Humane Society (541) 997-4277 * West Fir, City of (541) 782-3733
Heartland Humane Society - Corvallis (541) 757-9000 Emergency Vet Clinic (541) 746-0112

Check with the road maintenance departments for dead animal pick-up info:
 City of Eugene (541) 682-4800
 City of Springfield (541) 726-3761 
 Lane County (541) 682-6900


Why should you Report a Stray?  


Web link to Greenhill Humane Society

The stray running through your neighborhood may have just escaped out of its yard or perhaps was abandoned several weeks ago.  Pets can be scared and confused by strange surroundings.  They may be hungry or in need of special medical attention.  They run the risk of being hit by cars, taunted, or hurt by cruel people or come into contact with vicious animals.

Greenhill Humane Society regularly posts animal photos and case numbers on their website so that community members can find their loved ones.

...and it's the Law!
LANE CODE 7.040 Care of Stray Dogs:  All persons must turn over stray dogs to the shelter within twenty-four (24) hours after the person exercises control over the dog or must notify the shelter with the description of the dog, the address where the dog is being kept, and retain possession of the dog for three days after the shelter is notified.  A violation of LC 7.040 constitutes a Class B Violation.

For information on what to do about stray cats visit the Cats webpage.

What Else Can I Do?

  • Check local newspapers and websites under the Lost Pet section
  • Place a found ad if you can.

Where Do I Report a Stray Animal? 
For unincorporated Lane County, the city limits of Eugene or Springfield:  
Contact the Greenhill Humane Society at (541) 689-1503
Visit their website: http://www.green-hill.org/dualshelter.html

For other incorporated cities, check with the City Hall or nearest animal shelter.  Remember that even though you may find a pet in one area, it may actually live miles away in another town.  It's always best to file a report with all agencies.

2024 Wildfire Season Evacuation Information -

Click here for information about active evacuations.