Dust Abatement Frequently Asked Questions

DUST ABATEMENT refers to the process used to reduce dust on gravel roads. Lane County has approximately 150 miles of gravel road within the road maintenance system. We use Lignin Sulfonate (Lignin) to help stabilize road surfaces and reduce dust. Some frequently asked questions have been answered below.  For more information, please contact the Lane County Road Maintenance Department by calling 541-682-6900.

WHAT IS LIGNIN? : Lignin is a naturally occurring polymer found in wood that acts like glue holding the cellulose fibers of pulp together. When applied to gravel roads it coats the individual road particles with a thin adhesive-like film that binds the particles together.

HOW DOES LIGNIN CONTROL DUST? : Lignin works by binding the road surface particles together. Water evaporates from the lignin as it dries, and the dust particles are trapped by the high-viscosity, naturally sticky material.

HOW EFFECTIVE IS LIGNIN? : Estimates of the effectiveness of Lignin in controlling dust range from 80% to 100%. In general, the product is 100% effective when first applied and gradually loses some effectiveness with the passage of time, depending on the amount and type of traffic using the road and the amount of summer rainfall that occurs.

WHY DIDN'T I RECIEVE DUST ABATEMENT WHERE I LIVE?: The road you live on may not be a Lane County Road. Not all gravel roads in Lane County are in the Lane County Road System. It's also possible that the limited funding we acquired does not make it feasible to provide service in your area. The program was previously eliminated in 2012 due to a lack of funding; however, new sources have allowed us to offer this service again on a limited basis. Citizens without access to our dust abatement program may hire a private contractor to perform this work by obtaining a fee free Facility Permit.

CAN I HIRE A PRIVATE CONTRACTOR? : Yes - Sure Crop is a local contractor in the area that provides this service. You can call them at 541-998-1121 for more information. If you are a contractor that provides this service, and would like to be added to this list, please contact us at 541-682-6905.
WHERE CAN I GET A FACILITY PERMIT APPLICATION? :  You can go to the following link on our Road Maintenance Website. http://www.lanecounty.org/Departments/PW/Roads/

WILL LANE COUNTY REIMBURSE ME FOR THE COSTS? : No - unfortunately citizens are responsible for all financial arrangements, prep work and payment of the lignin application to the contractor they select.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO APPLY LIGNIN? : For information on costs; please contact Sure Crop at 541-998-1121.